20 August 2010

From insight to execution, well played.

I can't believe I missed this spot from Gillette, which it appears broke about 2 months ago.

Perhaps you did too. Take a look, then read on.



The insight here has to do with men's facial hair and the importance of a close shave - to the people who matter most in the equation - women.

(Positioning men's grooming products as appealing to women is the new black.)

The 65% claim is a tad misleading, but in the product's best interest nevertheless. While I think women prefer to kiss a man with a clean shave, they often prefer the appearance of some scruff. Kudos to Jack Morton for finding the bigger number and leveraging that.

The execution is funny and flawless, even if production value isn't much to write home about.

I'm engaged, I'm laughing, and most importantly, I understand how this links to the product.

The spot misses marginally when it fails to make a comparison to competitive brands. After all, you can get a clean shave with any razor, yes? The spot could have been strengthened with something like "...and Gillette's new Fusion Pro Glide helps men shave closer by x% vs. the leading razor." If that's not true, I'm sure it can shave closer than at least one razor out there, so get that data and use it here.

Enough said. Happy to end the week with an ad that's ON STRATEGY.

No comments:

Post a Comment