21 September 2010

Where to stick that insight?

Today's post comes in response to a devout Get On Strategy follower who asked what I thought of the new Corona spot.

Truth is, I caught this a week or so ago and made the deliberate decision not to blog about it. Why? Because I found it, in a word, dull. Perhaps you will agree - here it is:



But dull is no excuse, so here goes, Brian..

Corona has long been heralded the beach beer, enjoyed by party goers whilst soaking in the sun, sitting on the sand, lounging on a boat deck, or kicking back at a BBQ. It is not typically the beer sipped while snuggling next to the fire, at the ski chalet or watching snow pile up outside as excitement builds about the occasional grown up snow day.

In this spot, Corona attempts to change all that by inviting people to "find their beach" - whether that's on a rooftop overlooking the city lights or in some other unlikely place.

The spot resolves with a bronzed duo on a beach, clanging their bottles together with crystal blue water ahead and white sand beneath, seeming to suggest that drinking Corona will transport you (at least mentally) to the beach.

There's an insight here for sure, but I'm not sure it's one that ought to feed advertising or one that would have better served to drive some really smart product innovation?

Actually I am sure -- And there's more on that below.

First, I'll openly admit to not being a beer drinker, but I do have a basic understanding of what drives beer decisions. Light beers in clear bottles that go down easy infused with fresh lime juice have greater appeal when consumed under the sun than they possibly could on a crisp autumn night. There's something about change of season, or equally so, change of venue, that dictates what is and is not the right fit - if you can buy into the idea of "beer fitting."

Consider the customs of champagne flights and wine pairings. I'm told there are similarly structured events where high end ales and lagers are paired with hearty fare too. It makes perfect sense that alcohol would be complementary both to flavor and atmosphere. So, follow me with this 'beer fitting' logic, if you will.

What I'm saying is this. Yes, indeed, Corona is a beach beer. But no, I do not believe there's any such thing as drinking it and "finding your beach". When the leaves are cracking under my feet or the snow is falling outside or the fire is roaring, I don't want to slice up limes and drink light colored beer from a clear bottle. I want something darker, richer and more comforting.

If I were heading up Corona's marketing team and had enough data to validate this insight, I'd go in a completely different direction. I'd think about a new bottle design and a darker beer inside. ?

My new bottle would not be clear. The beer in it would not be called Corona. The bottle would probably have a label vs. print on bottle. The packaging and fonts would not be reminiscent of beach bars or tiki huts.

I'd get my new product "right", then go see what consumers have to say.

Imagine Corona having a hold on the summer / beach market and a beer capable of evoking a similar, seasonally appropriate feeling in Fall and Winter? That would be a home run.

But this effort is simply OFF STRATEGY.

No comments:

Post a Comment