08 June 2010

If you're not #1 or #2, you've got work to do

Let's be clear about one thing. Dr. Pepper is not Coke, nor is it Pepsi.

This means they have a job beyond simply reminding people what the brand "stands for" or maintaining a level of top of mind relevance vis a vis culture, hot celebrity talent, etc..

Here's their latest staring marketer's favorite Michael Strahan:

'>http://

As a consumer, I can't say I've ever understood the "doctor" reference, though they work hard to shoehorn it in there every time.

What I'd love to understand is why they DON'T focus on the "pepper" part - it's an ingredient AND a flavor AND Dr. Pepper actually does taste a little peppery. What am I missing?

I can't even find an insight to critique here. Not even a nugget. Wait, is the insight that Michael Strahan and Dr. Pepper are equally original? So what?

It seems to me this is a brand ripe for a dose of consumer research. Get out there and learn a little more about what people actually love about the brand and start leveraging that... Or just keep searching for doctors, references to doctors in songs or people who knock others to the ground and require a visit to the doctor??

This is an easy OFF STRATEGY call for me. But at least it helps keep Strahan top of mind during the off season.

No comments:

Post a Comment