04 May 2010

Intent

To blog...

I was a late adopter of Facebook.
I've got a Twitter page I never use.
I'm an early Foursquare advocate, albeit still a bit of a skeptic.
And I'm determined to realize the value of building a cautiously robust LinkedIn Network.

As a member of the marketing community, dedicated to building brand awesomeness, I view all this social media connectedness as a professional responsibility. 20% fun; 80% job.

So, onward to blogging and a bloggER I will be...at least for now, until some 18 year old tech cadet invents something much better, faster, cheaper, +/or cooler and renders this useless.

First, to establish a purpose for this blog. (Because that's what I do.)

I'm dedicating my blog to a discussion of marketing efforts and ad like objects that just plain feel off strategy as well as those that appear to be spot on strategy. In fairness to the creators of the "off strategy" set, I offer this caveat - there may well be a perfectly acceptable strategy or juicy, well-baked insight that I've simply missed because I'm not the intended target. Perhaps.

As a planner and self proclaimed strategic stickler, I can't help but evaluate advertising through this lens. It begs the question (or, I do), if advertising is intended to build equity and sell product, is a relevant strategic insight an imperative or is it ok to let the former become a casualty in the process if you end up with a really cool looking or cool sounding or cool doing ad (or the crap a client just paid you dearly to create)?

I realize there's all sorts of good reasons WHY advertising gets strategically derailed, not the least of which is that C word that pays our salaries and keeps agencies in business.

So don't take it personally. It's just a blog. Now off we go..

1 comment:

  1. have you read Fascinate by sally Hogshead or checked out her blog. please do. love you pith & vinegar. go girl!

    ReplyDelete